In the year 1874, William Fall, a Christian only, set out to find others like himself in the Martin area. Fall lived with his wife and daughter about seven miles southeast of Martin. Soon he located J. H. Westmoreland of Gardner and W. J. Burchard of Martin. The three Falls, along with the Westmoreland and Burchard families, assisted by B. T. Bondurant and a Mrs. Evans of Sharon, founded the Martin church of Christ. J. H. Roulhac of Union City was asked to hold a meeting for the group and apparently preached for them when they met for worship.
Within the next five years, Mrs. W. J. Burchard, M. M. Burchard, Miss. Jenni Dibrell, Mr. & Mrs. Joe Glass and Dr. G. W. Dibrell were added to the Lord’s church here. This was destined to be the home for the Martin church of Christ for more than seventy-five years...